Friday, January 29, 2010

Overtime

I know it's been 5 days already and you've probably already forgotten, but on Sunday the dumbest rule in the NFL showed it's ugly head again. That rule, the overtime rule. The NFL overtime is ridiculous, I'm not saying this just b/c I wanted Minny to win, how on earth do you play sudden death in the playoffs. Don't give me this crap that both teams had their chances in regulation. Yeah but so do teams in baseball basketball yet both teams get a chance to score. I'm behind the discussion on this a little bit, but I think my idea is the best.

The NFL should play 10 minutes of overtime, same rules that they currently have, 3 time outs per half, only booth reviews on replay. However, no sudden death, just play 10 minutes and whoever's winning after that wins the game. If nobody scores, regular season tie, playoffs play another 10 minutes. After two 10 minute sessions flip another coin and restart the game again. This is basically the NBA and college basketball rule for overtime, and their games seem to end just fine. Play a shortened period, but not so short one team can hog the ball. If you get the ball with only 2 minutes left well I guess that's all you get. I'm not a huge fan of the college football OT rules, simply for the fact of such a short field it doesn't allow the offense to have all it's arsenal of plays. So, if the NFL would just play more football everyone would be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment