Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Movie Villains #HassleBracket Preview

  What is it about a tournament that gets me so excited. When I was kid I would get out my basketball cards, put 2 guys on a team like NBA Jam and play out a tournament in my bedroom with my NERF hoop, (yes I played all four players in the game, having an imagination was OK in the early 90's.) Often those tournaments would end the same every time, Scottie Pippen and BJ Armstrong would destroy whomever came from the other side of the bracket (side note I didn't have an MJ card so he wasn't eligible.) The beauty of the bracket is there is always a winner, you divide it up and play until only one is standing, whether it's wrestling, March Madness, or something I've started in the last couple years, the #HassleBracket. The Hassle Bracket has been a labor of love, I've quite a few, including movie coaches, fictional athletes, sports logos, sports villains, candy, and movie franchises. With all the craziness of the world I've decided to create another bracket that starts April 1 on my alternate twitter account @crap_heads, this time it's Movie Villains, and tonight I'm going to go into each Region of the bracket and give a few thoughts. I did all the seeding for these brackets, which is hard since I haven't seen about half the movies. I have to trust the internet for who belongs where, and if they are even a "villain". I learned early on, just because I think someone should win doesn't mean that's who everyone likes. Feel to free to play along and vote each day all the way through the month of April.

Jay Region
 The Jay Region looks like a tough draw for #1 seed Hannibal Lecter, his possible 2nd round match up will be either Jack Nicholson or Jack Nicholson, as his 2 characters from The Shining and The Departed face off in the 8-9. The 2 seed Hans Landa also has an uphill climb as he gets 2 athletes if he makes the 2nd round, he'll face Ivan Drago or Johnny Lawrence. The rest of the bracket is also tough with a couple of villains from Harry Potter (I purposely give Jay Harry Potter people since he went to Orlando for the Wizardly World of Harry Potter), Hans Gruber from Die Hard, Michael Corleone and others. This one should be fun.
Favorite: Hannibal Lecter
Sleeper: Hans Gruber
Super Sleeper: Max Cady
My Prediction: Biff Tannen, only because Back to the Future just did so well in the Movie Franchises bracket

Troy Region
Troy didn't like his Region of the Movie Franchises bracket so for this one I tried like hell to make him happy. He got the top seed, and tournament favorite Darth Vader, who is going to face some Lord of the Rings dudes in the 2nd round. Emperor Palpatine got the 2 seed, not sure he'll make it face Vader but if he does, I assume the same results from their last confrontation. Thanos got the 3 seed, I heard he killed all the Avengers so he's obviously a bad ass. Troy does an outstanding Jaba the Hut impersonation as well as a great Bane, so they both are in there. Brings me to another point when I do these match ups I try to do the opposite of march madness and put 2 guys from the same universe together, there is no conference play, so Bane vs Two-Face needs to be seen. Xenomorph from Alien might be a little overseeded, but this bracket is tough.
Favorite: Darth Vader
Sleeper: Bane
Super Sleeper: King Longshanks or Ra's Al Ghul
My Prediction: Darth Vader, I think he wins the entire thing and probably has no close match ups.

Serge Region
This one is loaded with cult villains, aside from top seed Joker (only from Dark Knight) the rest of these villains are from blockbusters, rather movies certain people like. Kevin Spacey is this region twice, 3 seed Keyser Soze (Usual Suspects) and 11 seed John Doe (Se7en). Dr. Evil gets a shot at actual Bond Villain Auric Goldfinger in the 8-9 game. The Terminator gets hosed with a 13 seed and faces Anton Chigurh (one of my favorite villains ever). Tyler Durden also underseeded could make an upset in the first round as well. Some horror guys will try to make waves in the bottom of the bracket as Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, and Chucky all could challenge Agent Smith to be the representative in the Elite 8.
Favorite: The Joker
Sleeper: Michael Myers
Super Sleeper: Tyler Durden or Chucky
My Prediction: The Joker, I think Heath Ledger made that roll iconic and has created a following for the Joker that is probably made him more popular than Batman.

Hasslers Region
I let my personal preference dictate the #1 seed here, it's for sure the weakest but Annie Wilkes from Misery is truly a great villain, and I've only seen the move once but when she wedges that board between his legs and nails him with the hammer, my god. So she is the weakest #1 but that's ok I gave her the respect I thought she deserved. The T-1000 gets the 2, he dominated T2, really made the movie so much better than the first. I like Jaws as the 4 seed as well, could be someone who gets far and does damage in the bracket. A tough 1st round match up for the Wicked Witch of the West facing Mr. Glass. Pennywise vs Scar could also be epic, Pennywise probably has the edge since IT was just redone. Nurse Ratched vs Warden Norton in the 5-12 will be a great match-up, I think Shawshank gets a little more play than Cuckoo's Nest.
Favorite:T-1000
Sleeper Lex Luthor
Super Sleeper: Warden Norton
My Prediction: Warden Norton, everyone loves Shawshank and the Warden was a damn prick in that movie. This region is very unpredictable.

This is going to be a fun bracket, I'm excited to get it started. One reminder, I'm putting the actor and movie for each villain on the poll, so you only get one actor for each villain, you can't decide every Lex Luthor or both Tommy Lee Jones and Aaron Eckhart count as one, you have to judge them based on that actors performance as that character. Let me know who you got, and let's have some fun. FYI if sports aren't back by May 1st (which they won't) I'll be doing a Sitcom Mom's bracket, something I've wanted to do for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment