Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Draft Revisited 2012

This is going to be my last one of these for a while. I gotta find some other stuff to talk about, but I would feel bad for you if you didn't get to see my pain. I wrote a diary about 2012, take a look and read it to see what my feelings were on that eventful night. This draft brought me so much joy and within 2 years the joy was all gone. It's not exactly why I've fallen out of the NFL but it's one of the many factors. I invested heavily in Robert Griffin III and the Redskins ownership, front office, and coaches just shit all over him, and in a way shit all over me. I was a fan of that team for many years and when they left him in in the 2nd half vs Seattle to just let him hurt himself more, it ruined me. We'll get into the draft and the oddest part is the guy I was sure would fade into oblivion because he played receiver for a year in college is the only QB in the top 10 that is still doing it, while the 2 good QBs are a career back up and retired. Let's check out this class.

Pick 1 Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck QB, Standford. Luck was can't miss as can't miss can be. He was the next John Elway and the Colts performed the "Suck for Luck" perfectly. It helped Peyton Manning missed all of 2011 and there was no back up plan. Luck got to Indy and performed. The Colts won 11 games his rookie year, and he lead them to the playoffs his first 3 seasons. Then in 2015 the injuries started adding up for him, and not just normal injuries but lacerated kidney and torn stomach muscles, then it was his shoulder that kept him out 2017. He gave it one more run in 2018, made the playoffs and then hung it up before 2019. Just crazy, the dude was legit but the rehab was too much for him and he quit before he even turned 30, shame.

Pick 2 Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III QB, Baylor. A running QB he comes out of nowhere with one good year, then goes high in the draft. I had my reservations about the Redskins trading up to take RGIII, but he proved me so wrong his rookie year. The Redskins sold the farm to get him, which is another reason it pisses me off they treated him like trash. You don't trade 3 1st rounders and a 2nd just to sacrifice that guy. Things started out shaky for RG but he eventually got the ball rolling and lead the Skins to division championship and the playoffs. I kept saying 2 years after the draft I would still make that trade but only because RG gave me so much joy in 2012 and Mike Shanahan stole that joy and stomped all over it, asshole.

Pick 3 Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson RB, Alabama. You think I was wrong about RG, I was WAY THE FUCK wrong about Trent Richardson. This dude ended up in the AAF, he sucked. Not only did he trick the Browns, he also tricked the Colts who traded for him in 2013, and gave the Browns a 1st round pick. Richardson is another in the line of Alabama running backs who got in the league and fell off the map, Mark Ingram is about the only one who made a lasting impact. At least the Browns got something for this bust which in 2 picks we'll have a different story. Richardson was out of the league after 2014.

Pick 4 Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil OT, USC. I don't know a ton about Kalil's career, he did make 1 Pro Bowl with the Vikings, but other than that it's been pretty blah. I don't think you take your franchise left tackle with pick 4 and then let him walk after 5 years. He's a free agent right now after not playing in 2019, go sign him.

Pick 5 Jacksonville Jaguars: Justin Blackmon WR, Oklahoma State. I said I was wrong about Richardson, what if I told you I liked Blackmon more. He was my favorite player in this draft and he went to Jacksonville where talent goes to die. Blackmon got into a little trouble as well and his career was over after 20 games. Don't do drugs and drink kids, it will ruin your career. Such a waste Blackmon was legit in college.

If you're keeping track so far the top 5 in order are, retired, back up QB in Baltimore, released, DNP in 2019, released. So even though RG III broke my heart he's the only one still in uniform.

Pick 6 Dallas Cowboys: Morris Claiborne CB, LSU. When Dallas moved up to get Claiborne I lost my mind with anger. I thought damn it why didn't Minnesota take him now we gotta deal with him. Well luckily for me Claiborne was solid but not spectacular. He battled injuries in Dallas before heading to the Jets and eventually the Chiefs. He's never had more than 2 interceptions in a season so I guess I was wrong again.

Pick 7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mark Barron S, Alabama. If you read the diary Mike Mayock said Barron's downside was a Pro Bowl safety. Guess I'm not the only person wrong with this draft. Barron hasn't made a Pro Bowl, I have no idea what happened to him, I never heard his name. He got traded to the Rams during 2014 and played for the Steelers in 2019. This draft sucks.

Pick 8 Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill QB, Texas A&M. Tannehill made waves at the draft because his girlfriend was a smoke show, also he went top 10 after playing wide receiver in 2010. Tannehill was never great for Miami, he only had 2 4,000 yard seasons in his 6 seasons, he missed all of  2017 with a torn ACL. Then 2019 happened and with the Titans Tannehill made the playoffs, and beat Tom Brady in the playoffs. Are you kidding me, this guy is the success story of the top 10, THIS GUY, I was wrong about everyone in this draft.

Pick 9 Carolina Panthers: Luke Kuechly LB, Boston College. Man Boston College used to be so good at getting one dude in the top 10. Kuechly was a legit stud, he won Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2012 and NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2013. He was the best MLB in the league for his 7 years but sadly he hung it up after 2019. I understand getting out while you still have most of your body, but from this top 10, the best offensive and defensive players each retired before their time was up.

Pick 10 Buffalo Bills: Stephen Gilmore CB, South Carolina. Gilmore is a good corner. I don't remember being blown away by him at the draft the way Claiborne did, but he's the only DB of the 3 in the top 10 who made a Pro Bowl and has made a difference. Gilmore is actually come off one of his best years in 2019 when he had 6 interceptions for the Patriots. He worked out well for Buffalo and had been a great addition for the Patriots.

So the top 10 is actually very sad, half the top 10 are out of the league already, it's only been 7 years. I think Kuechly is a Hall of Fame player but that's about it. There are so many misses here and the hurt only gets worse for me, as a Super Bowl winning QB is there and RG III's ultimate demise is taken in the 4th round.

11-20 started off with a bang with Dontari Poe going to the Chiefs at 11, I incorrectly projected him to bust. Fletcher Cox went to Philly at 12, he has a ring and 5 Pro Bowls. Bruce Irvin went to Seattle at 15, I thought he was going to be better. Melvin Ingram went to the Chargers at 18 after a slow start he really took off in his 4th year.

You won't believe this but the Patriots did work in the 20's. Chandler Jones went to them at 21 and Dont'a Hightower landed at 25. Having Tom Brady is nice, but just killing drafts is where the Patriots did their damage in the last 8 years. 2 good lineman went back to back with Riley Reiff and David DeCastro at 23 and 24. Minnesota got back into the first round to get Harrison Smith at 29, he was really good when I watched football. Finally, Tampa traded back into the 1st round to get the Muscle Hamster Doug Martin at 31. 
  
In the 2nd round the Bears took Alshon Jeffrey, who was good for them and better for Philly. The Seahawks landed Bobby Wagner, spoiler alert the Seahawks won the draft. The Bucs got Lavonte David pick 58, they really should've been better. Kelechi Osemele went to the Ravens and the Packers got Casey Hayward who I think did more damage for the Chargers than Green Bay.

3rd round the Dolphins nabbed Oliver Vernon at 72. Brandon Brooks went to the Titans at 76.

The Seahawks steal the draft getting Russell Wilson at 75, he's been to a couple Super Bowls, won one of them. Could've had some league MVPs, is in the top 5 QBs in the league, just generally awesome. Apparently he's a good dude as well, but I can't stand him. He's the best player not named Keuchly in this draft.

End of the 3rd round featured Nick Foles (88 Philly) Akiem Hicks (89 Saints) and T.Y. Hilton (92 Colts) I love me so T.Y.

4th round the Redskins undermined their 2nd overall pick by taking Kirk Cousins, nothing says building for the future like taking a QB with a complete different skill set later in the draft. I hate Kirk Cousins, he is bad at football.

The Packers stole Mike Daniels at pick 132, he was a beast at Iowa and played on a line that featured nobody else. He proved a lot of people wrong in the league.

Josh Norman was pick 143 to Carolina, that's a pick that helps build.

The Redskins got Alfred Morris in the 6th round, they did alright in this draft, they did win 2 division titles soon after this.

The Bengals signed Vontaze Bufict as an undrafted free agent, that almost worked out, he was awesome until he lost his head.

The Seahawks won this draft and they quickly won the Super Bowl after the 2013 season.

I think Luke Keuchly was the best player in the draft with Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson right there.

Justin Blackmon is the bust of the draft but the price the Redskins paid for RG III will always haunt them, even though he won the division his rookie year which ultimately led to his demise because that field sucked ass and it ruined his knee.

This was a fun, check in next week because I'll have real live sports to talk about as NASCAR holds their first race since March, and first race without fans, should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment