Wednesday, August 12, 2020

By The Numbers 81-90 Edition

     The Big Ten postponed the season yesterday, I'm not surprised. I don't want to get into it because it's depressing enough already, deep diving it is useless. Until everyone can agree on the best solution for this pandemic we're stuck with these situations. On with the numbers, lots of star power tonight as we navigate the me guys. 


81 Calvin Johnson: I've talked about my love of Megatron multiple times on this site. He's probably my favorite player from the last decade that had nothing to do with any of my favorite teams. He went to work, did his job, put up numbers, and did so quietly. I'm not the biggest act like you've been there before guy, I like personalities, but when guys decide to not be a showboat it is refreshing. Tron put up great numbers in his short career, I feel like he belongs in Canton. His day will come and I'll be excited for him if he can get in there.

82 Charlie Tweeder: I think Tweeder had a future in the league, especially in the Patriots offense, he had that Edelman build. Problem is Tweeder was going to end up in jail. He talked about drugging girls, he kidnapped some girls and threw their clothes out the window, while stealing a cop car. He put his wanger on the glass over at the Allano Club while the girls were practicing their Christmas performance. But damn it he could run routes, catch anything and break free. In the oopity oop Mox wanted to single him up on the one side, but he still lined up in the slot with the other 3 receivers. Varsity Blues is still my favorite football movie.

83 Ricky Sanders: There once was a group of receivers in Washington, they were called "The Posse" it consisted of Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Ricky Sanders. They were an awesome trio, and though only Monk made the Hall of Fame, all of them have a special place in team history. Ricky helped win 2 rings. Washington's offense was a run first scheme with the Hogs and good running backs, but the three receivers helped them stretch the field and keep teams honest.

84 Sterling Sharpe: I only got to watch Sterling Sharpe a couple of years before he ended his career prematurely due to foot injuries. He was the first receiver to record back to back 100 reception seasons. For that I will always remember him. I'm not a Packer fan but I watched them a lot since my family is all Packer backers. He wowed me as a 9 year old with how he played and how he didn't seem to drop anything. Those early 90's teams set up the Packers for the late 90's success and I think Sterling helped Brett Favre get the confidence he needed early on in his career. 

85 Chad Johnson: I have a crush on the Bengals. I don't "root" for them but when they are good I enjoy watching them. Not sure if it's the helmets or the color scheme, but I enjoy good Bengals teams. When they had Carson Palmer, TJ Houshamazillah, and Chad 8-5 I paid attention. Johnson was what a receiver is supposed to be, loudmouth, brash, and super talented. He was a top 5 receiver for a few years and though he didn't have the most success outside of Cinncy he was still fun to watch.

 86 Brian Murphy: Murphy was the deaf Tight End for the Washington Sentinals. Him and Shane Falco had a bond that developed very fast and nobody could predict. The last game was on the line and Falco asked who wanted the ball, Murphy signed me, and Falco said let's hook up. Of course Murphy catches the pass and they beat the team full of regular players. The Replacements is a fun football movie and a great way to pass some time if  you find it on. 

 87 Rob Gonkowski: I love Gronk, everything about Gronk is awesome. We need more Gronk.

 88 Greg Olsen: Olsen was a great tight end, loved him at Miami, loved him on the Bears, loved him Carolina. Was always a good sneaky fantasy guy to take if you missed the top tier tight ends. Anyone else who's worn 88 sucks.

 89 Mike Ditka: Ditka, Polish Sausage, Ditka, Polish Sausage. Ditka was a bad ass in a time of bad asses. He played tight end in the NFL and then coached the Bears to their only Super Bowl. Ditka is a damn legend and deserves all the recognition. Ditka 333 Detroit -43.

90 Neil Smith: Neil Smith invented the breathe right strip. After breaking his nose he started putting tape over his nose and decorating it. While the Chiefs teams in the early 90's that had Smith, Derrick Thomas, Joe Montana, and Marcus Allen I took a liking to Neil. He was a dominate inside player on the defensive line and had fun kicking everyone's ass. The fact he brought the breathe right strip only helps enhance his legacy. Great player should probably get a little more recognition. 

 That's all the numbers for this one, getting to the end  of the top 100. I'll try to get the next group done soon. In the meantime stay safe and enjoy what taste of sports you can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment