Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Case For the BCS

Being a few days from the greatest day of the year, a day I like to call National Football Day, I've decided to make a case for the BCS system of determining a champion in college football. I want a fair system as much as the next guy but I'm gonna throw a few cogs in the arguments for various playoff systems.

I'd like to start with thanking the BCS since you've come along things have been better. In 1997 Michigan and Nebraska both went undefeated, Michigan went to the Rose Bowl, ranked first in both polls, beat Washington State. Nebraska, ranked 2nd in both polls, whooped up on Tennessee in the Orange Bowl. After the bowl games, the coaches poll changed it's mind and gave Nebraska the #1 ranking, making a split national championship. So, that's awesome 2 national champions, how "fair" does that sound? The two best teams didn't play each other because their conferences had arrangements with different bowls. If that's not a case for the BCS I don't know what is. I don't know who would've won between the two teams but I wish Michigan could've had a shot against Nebraska and I know Chris wishes they would've gotten their shot against the Wolverines.

Now, I'm gonna drill some holes through some arguments against the BCS, or how to find a national champ.

First Idea: Plus 1. The plus 1 idea is that 4 teams get into a playoff, 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3, the winners play an extra game after the bowl season. In theory a good idea, you keep the integrity of the bowl system, which I like, and the top teams play each other. One gaping hole, who are the top 4 teams? This year you have 5 undefeated teams, and I'm pretty sure Florida deserves a top 4 ranking, so that's 6 teams for four spots. So, who gets in, Bama, Texas, TCU, and Boise b/c their 1-4? So Cinncy and Florida get screwed? This is the arguement against the BCS b/c TCU got hosed out of the championship game, so if you invited 4 than Cinncy got screwed, or maybe if they invite 4, Boise suddenly doesn't get as much love from the polls and Cinncy jumps them, so now Boise if F'd over. This year is different than most, we normally have 1 or 2 undefeateds, and about seven 1 loss teams. So whose number 4 now? Now I understand it's a little easier to distinguish 4 from 5 than 2 from 3, but if you did this than whoever ends up 5th is gonna have a shit fit every year. What about the year Auburn was 3rd and undefeated, so now you have 3 unbeatens and 1 one loss team, pretty sure that one loss team doesn't deserve a shot with the other 3.

Another idea is 8 or 16 team playoff. I hate these ideas, ruins the entire bowl schedule. I love my bowls, especially the Rose Bowl, love hearing Keith Jackson call the "Grand Daddy of 'em all." Tradition is a huge thing with me, and the bowls are tradition, January 1st is tradition. I have Idaho and Bowling Green on my TV right now, without a bowl schedule these two small schools don't get national recognition, which helps their recruiting. The reason a playoff ruins the bowl schedule is, why are these advertisers gonna pay to have their name on a bowl if the playoff game scheduled that same day is gonna steal their viewers. The Bowls will cease to exist, the 8 or 16 teams will continue their years while the other 50 teams get nothing. Same thing happens as well with who gets in and who doesn't. Do you give automatic qualifiers to the conference champs? Just a lot of questions I have that people who make these arguements can't answer. Once again I love Bowls, I want bowls, and hey 12 years ago the best two teams in the country didn't play each other, so the BCS is better than what we had. Besides how much does it matter if we have a "true" national champ, who won it 7 years ago? I don't know, don't care and if it was a BCS travesty than so what at least the top teams got to play each other.

1 comment: