Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Top 10

The beauty of music is that whatever music hits you and makes you groove makes that music good to you. I have been guilty of telling people their music sucks but I've tried to change that mentality in recent years. You can't help what a song makes someone feel, whether it's a memory, an important point in their life, or even the video being so good they learned to love the song. So in my return to blogging I'm going to publish my top 10 songs ever. This list could change in a week, it could be the same in a year, you never know, hell I might find a song I love tomorrow (not likely I've hit the point where new music isn't for me and I've accepted that, I'm 37 nobody writes good music after they turn 35).  So here we go, my favorite songs ever, ever ever.

#1 Metallia "Nothing Else Matter" I used to listen to the Black Album every night when going to bed. I had a portable CD player and little speakers plugged into the head phone jack.  I listened to that CD every night for 3 years.  Nothing Else Matter was and still is my favorite song from that album, you don't hear it often but the song just speaks to me in a lot of ways.

#2 Notorious B.I.G. ft/ Bone Thugs and Harmony "Notorious Thugs" Another song from my high school years.  I got Life After Death and would listen to it on the way to basketball and baseball games.  Notorious Thugs was a great start to the double album and I usually played it right before getting off the bus, I'll still play the CD every once in a while.

#3 Billy Joel "Piano Man" In my college years my brothers and I would lock arms and sing this song at every party and we still do it at weddings.  I know all the words and in my drunker years I would sing it at karaoke without looking at the screen.

#4 Gary Allen "Right Where I Need to Be"  It's the song I chose for our first dance at our wedding, we went and saw Gary Allen for our 5th anniversary. Was a great show and a fun night, still love the song and reminds me of the days when I first met my wife and I was traveling all over the place for work.

#5 Sevendust "Face to Face" You want to see me make a fool of myself? Play this song and I lose my shit, I have no idea why but it just hits me. The words and the music just fit and it's the best damn Sevendust song there is. I become a 1 man mosh pit whenever it hits.

#6 Carly Rae Jepsen "Call Me Maybe" It's the best damn pop song ever in my opinion. It's catchy as all hell, it's got the perfect verses and the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders made the best version of the lip synch video. This song is my damn jam, I love it I love it I love it.

#7 Nelly "Batter Up" I like Nelly, I like baseball, Nelly raps a song with baseball as the theme, what else could you want?  It's on the Country Grammar CD and I wore this song out with Country Grammar, Ride Wit Me, and St. Louie.  Man that album was the album of the summer in 2000, you couldn't get away from it. I remember moving into my dorm that fall and 4 rooms had the album playing and after I got my stereo plugged in it was 5 rooms, so many memories. Plus Nelly and Ali do play by play on the song, so great.

#8 Dispatch "The General" This entire idea started the other day when I heard this song on Pandora and it got me thinking about what my top 10 are. I found this song years after it was made but I still love the hell out of it.  It's just a simple song that's totally great and has a great story.  It doesn't have some deep meaning to me, I just love it.

#9 Rise Against "From Heads Unworthy" Such a damn good song. Falls into that category of not the most popular song on the album, but the deep cuts are what true fans like, right? I'm kidding but seriously I love this song, it's got 3 different breakdowns in it, lots of great lyrics. One lyric I love, "I'm not after fame and fortune, I'm after you, when I served my time I swear I will come back for you" just that verse makes the whole song for me, so good.

#10 Semisonic "Closing Time" Well much like my wedding I have to end with this one.  Not sure why, but it's been my jam forever. I can't remember when the light bulb went off for me but it hasn't gone off yet. The song is about life and it's a great listen, just remember "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here."

There you have it, my favorite 10 songs. You may not like it and think I'm crazy but that's the beauty of music, everyone hears it differently. Of course I would be remiss to have an honorable mention. Every song from the first 2 Linkin Park Albums, every song from Eric Church's Chief Album, "Happy" by Mudvayne, "Psychosocial" Slipknot, "South Texas Death Ride" The Union Underground, and "Breathe" Nickleback.  That's the list, let me know some of your favs, we can hash it out.  Follow me on Twitter @DerekBredeson and who knows I might do a few more of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment