Monday, March 18, 2013

The Madness

  This year the madness actually is maddening, I filled out my bracket as I always do right after the selection show and when I was done, I looked at my Final Four, and went I don't like any of these teams.  That is the case of this years bracket we don't like anybody.  I think every bracket has at least 4 legit Final Four contenders, that's at least 16 teams that could win it all.  I think the number is probably more like 18-20.  Let's go region by region and I'll give my winner out of it leading to Final Four.

Midwest, Louisville is the overall number 1 seed yet ended up with the hardest bracket by far.  Duke is the 2, Michigan St. 3, and Saint Louis 4.  Other contenders Creighton at 7, Okie St. at 5 and St. Mary's in the play-in game, ST MARY's.  I think predicting this bracket is nearly impossible.  I went with Michigan St. simply because they are battle tested in the Big Ten, they play great defense and can come from behind.  I haven't watched much Big East this year so I'm not huge on Louisville.

East, Indiana got the number 1 in this bracket but once again it's wide open.  Miami could've been a 1, Marquette is the 3 (overrated I think), Syracuse the 4.  Contenders are #8 N.C. State and preseason favorite, UNLV at 6, Montana the 13, Butler vs Bucknell in the 6-13 game is a good match-up.  Illinois could be a sleeper if they play like they did in November and December.  I've liked Indiana all year, but they've played like crap lately and they tend to forget they have Cody Zeller sometimes.  I've chosen Miami not sure why but once again who else you gonna take.  They beat Duke, play good defense and have a ton of seniors, in a tournament without a dominant player older teams are gonna play better and seniors are a premium.

West, Gonzaga got the number 1, but this a tough region I think you can say 6 teams can win a national title out of it.  #2 Ohio St.  #3 New Mexico, #4 Kansas St, #5 Wisconsin, and #6 Arizona are all tough outs.  Add in Iowa St. that is older and Ole Miss the SEC tourny champs that just beat Florida and holy hell is this tough.  If you make the sweet 16 and your not Gonzaga or Arizona it's gonna be tough b/c they'll have great crowds in L.A.  my pick is Gonzaga, got nothing to back that up, I haven't watched them play a game all year, but I think it'll end up between Ohio St. and them and Ohio St. doesn't have the size to match-up with the Zags up front.

South, Kansas got the number 1, not a huge fan of it.  I think Kansas is by far the worst #1 in the tourny, and the Big 12 is a bad conference so I don't think they earned this over Miami or even Duke.  This region is tough as well #2 Georgetown, #3 Florida #4 Michigan are all pretty good and have ability to be great especially Michigan and Florida.  VCU is the 5 and are really good, San Diego St. is the 7 tough, Minnesota is the 11 and have size and seniors 2 nice things to have.  Don't forget the 8-9 game of North Carolina and Villanova leading to a match-up with Kansas.  What a great coaching match-up in the "3rd round."  After saying all that I decided on Georgetown, which will probably blow up in my face since they always under perform.

This season is especially tough b/c there is a ton of parody, no true dominant team, and almost every team has a bad loss.  So with that being said I have zero confidence in my Final Four of Michigan St., Gonzaga, Georgetown, and Miami.  My Champion is Miami over Gonzaga, yeah I know it's horrible. 

That's all for this week, check back next week when I do a baseball preview, and follow me @derekbredeson where I'll have plenty to say about the first 2 rounds this weekend.  Final thought Joey Logano and Denny Hamlin have a beef, which right or wrong I'm taking Denny's side of course.  I saw Joey call Denny the worst teammate ever when they were together.  Well, Joey who gave you the keys to Martinsville and Pocono?  Denny did, you wanna cry b/c he spun you yesterday go ahead but let the past be the past, I'm starting to think your the worst teammate ever since yesterday you pushed Denny into your teammate on a restart costing him the race and in Daytona you fucked up the bottom line by getting out of line once again costing your teammate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment