Friday, October 16, 2009

NASCAR HOF

Well Chris asked me a question in the post below, and I will answer it. First of all totally agree with Chris on the windbag from CBS Sports, if you gonna keep anyone off the ballot it's Bill France Jr. not Dale Sr. That's all I'm gonna say about that. Here is where I think they screwed up, they should have had 10 guys in the first class, this sport is over 60 years old and plenty of guys have claims to be HOFers. This is the first class make it special, next year go to 5, but this year 10 would be fine. First 5 for me, Bill France Sr. founder of NASCAR, built Daytona, took the sport from dirt to pavement. Richard Petty, 200 wins, 7-time points champion, team owner, was the face of the sport. Dale Earnhardt Sr., 7-time points champion, 76 wins, won championships when rules were stricter, death may have been reason for the second biggest fan boom in the sport. Junior Johnson, probably one or the most respected drivers ever, owner of six championship cars. David Pearson, 3 time points champion, 105 wins. Well there you go my top 5, but since I said I wanted 10 in the first class, so here are the final 5. Bill France Jr. took the sport from the South to the nation, got big time sponsors and national TV interested. Cale Yarborough, 3 time straight points champion. Bobby Allison, part of one the best racing families in the sport, 1 time points champion, 85 wins, part of the the biggest event in NASCAR history along with brother Donnie Allison, and Cale Yarborough, if you've never seen this fight check it out. It's from the Daytona 500 in 1979, watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE. These two deserve to be in for transcending the sport, this is the biggest thing to ever happen to the sport. Darrell Waltrip, 3 time points champion, great announcer as well. The final spot I'll give to a car owner, Rick Hendrick, has owned 8 driver point championships, about to be 9, has owned cars when rules have been the strictest and the playing field has been the most even. Well there you have it, I have a lot guys from the last 30 years, but seriously the last 30 years have been way way bigger than the first 30 years of the sport. I have an argument I use often, just because your first doesn't make you the best. Couple of guys who should be in the next 5 years, Red Byron, Bobby Isaac, Tim Flock, Lee Petty, Ned Jarrett, Benny Parsons, Joe Weatherly, Fred Lorenzen, Fireball Roberts, Terry Labonte, Bill Elliott, my man Rusty Wallace, Alan Kulwicki, Davey Allison, and Dale Jarrett. These guys when they retire, Mark Martin, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, and Jimmie Johnson. There you have it, my only question is what took so long for this Hall of Fame?

No comments:

Post a Comment