Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Iowa Speedway

Well to continue the NASCAR theme we have started for ourselves I'm gonna give a little feedback from Saturday's Nationwide race at the Iowa Speedway. This weekend was the first time the Nationwide cars came to Iowa and I'm pretty sure within the next 2 or 3 years they'll bringing their big brother the Sprint Cup with them. Besides the race being what all Nationwide races are these days, a 3 way competition between Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, and Brad Keselowski (spelling?), the race was very entertaining. The track that Rusty Wallace help design and build is pretty different than any other track on the current Cup circuit, 7/8 of a mile with progressive banking in the corners, starting at 12 degrees on the bottom and being 14 degrees on the top. The cup goes to a few short tracks, but of all the newer tracks added to the circuit most are 1 1/2 mile cookie cutter tracks, the races at these tracks tend to be boring and very follow the leader. Also with 36 races on the circuit I think the mile and a half tracks have too many races. I mean Chicago, Michigan, Texas, California, Kansas, Homestead, Las Vegas and Charlotte are all a little different but not different enough to hold about a quater of the schedule. Cup scheduling in general kind of sucks, I mean look at Chris's post below about Pocono, a track I like not because the racing is good but it's unique and Denny has that place figured out, but he has a valid point why twice to Pocono? Once is enough for Sears Point and the Glen. Also a place like California gets two races, they can't even sell out one. Anyway, back to my point Iowa needs to break into this 36 race cup schedule soon, and maybe can take a race away from one of these mile and a half tracks, but I'm sure NASCAR will wait and then take a race from one of the short tracks, probably Phoenix, which also kind of stinks.

Personally I think short track racing is the best racing there is. The Bristol night race is still the best race on the circuit, Richmond is exciting every race, and Martinsville gives a clock away how cool is that? Loudin and Dover are both entertaining for the most part. Iowa Speedway in my opinion is more like Richmond than any of the other short tracks on the circuit, I may be wrong about that too. Richmond has two races already and is always exciting. So here it goes my pitch to Nascar get Iowa a Cup race listen to your Nationwide winner from the race on Saturday, Brad Keselowski, get the Cup cars there soon. I am a bit selfish in this because if Iowa does get a race I will be close enough to go every year, and I will. So please give us a race at the house that Rusty built. Final note the wrcck that Algair and Steven Wallace had on Saturday was one of the funniest wrecks I've ever seen in stock car racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment